Fall is in the air!

>> Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I love fall.  I won't even try to lie.  I love the changing leaves, the cooler weather, apple cider, pumpkins...I love it all.

So it will come to no surprise that I like decorating for fall and the subsequent holidays. 

My latest project has been making some little decorations for Halloween.  I am not one to particularly like the scary aspect of Halloween...but I like to have a bit of fun.  These blocks fit the bill for "fun"!

I thought it would be fun to share with you how they were made and maybe it will inspire you to make some at home...or make something similar.  And if you don't want to exercise those creative bones in your body, you can buy them from my Etsy shop!  :)

The first step would be to get yourself three 2" x 4" wooden blocks cut to various sizes.  I think mine are roughly 5", 4", and 3". 


Sand them down to even out the rough edges....and then paint them.  I chose to paint mine black, but purple or orange or even a dark gray would look good. 

The next step is to choose some paper that you like and that matches your theme.  I decided to go with something that wasn't too busy with large shapes  & colors.  Cut your paper to the size of your blocks.  It doesn't need to fit on there perfectly, but it shouldn't hang over the sides.

Glue your paper on.  I decided to glue it on rather than using modge podge.  I questioned by decision when I was putting the modge podge on because it was bubbling...and I thought I had ruined the blocks, but the bubbles went away as the modge podge dried.  Before you seal the blocks, make sure you glue your letters on.  I used my Cricut machine to cut them.  If you don't have a Cricut or a similar machine, I suppose you could print them out on your printer and cut around them & glue them on.


After the modge podge had dried, I sanded the edges to give each block a distressed look.  Then I attached some ribbon to the "B" and some buttons to one of the "O" blocks. 

These adorable blocks will more than likely be gracing the top of our piano.  Now I am thinking about what else I can make....any ideas?  :)

3 comments:

Jacqui September 7, 2010 at 4:06 AM  

i really cant wait for halloween to get here!! im am so excited. this is the first year i am going to take the boys out for trick r treating. i love watching all the scary movies!! IM EXCITED!! i love this time of year, hehe can you tell.

Post a Comment