Ranting about Football & Rivalries

>> Sunday, November 28, 2010

Can it really be Christmas already?  Wow!  Where does the time go?  Life around here has been somewhat really somber lately.  For those of you who don't know, my lil' family lives in Meridian, a suburb of Boise....home of the Boise State Bronco football team.  The one that was so close to making history.  And now...they are not.  :(  I, myself, did not attend Boise State but my wonderful husband did.  I attended the University of Idaho, a significant rival of BSU.  In fact, alumni from each school pretty much dislikes the other as much as they possibly can and there have been times in my 7 1/2 year marriage to a BSU fan that was not sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. 

But I have to be honest when I say I feel very bad for those football players from BSU.  To quote my husband, "(Friday's game) was like a bad ending to a good movie.  You're watching it and you think you know how it is going to end and then it just ends and you are left sitting there going, 'What in the hell was that?' "  That wasn't how their season was supposed to end. 

And I have to say that I am shocked by the excitement of my fellow alumni.  They are so stinkin' glad that this football team lost and I just don't get it.  Call me brainwashed for living with a Bronco, but it just is a game and they were so close.  And they were ARE an amazing team!  Not only on the field, but off.  They recently sponsored a child from Texas with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma who had an opportunity to  "Make A Wish".  He got to travel to Boise to be an Assistant Coach for a game.  Coach Petersen and his croonies went out of their way to make it happen for that kid.  How many other teams would do the same thing on their way to the top?  Not many, I say.  Not many. 

(Watch this video of what it meant to that family to visit Boise on his Make A Wish trip)

So...I say good job Broncos!  And keep your chins up because life isn't always about what happens on a football field. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment